Friday, April 1, 2011

Six Months Pregnant!

I'm on the homestretch now! Only three months to go! (Or two, if I go into labor at the same point as I did with Logan!!!!)

It feels like forever since I blogged and I have "pregnancy brain" so I am sure I won't remember everything that I wanted to say. :( I don't recall having pregnancy brain with Logan, but the past few weeks have been bad as far as my memory. I'll start to say something to Joe and then in mid-sentence -- "I have no idea what I was saying." Or, I'll go to a room and have no idea why I was going to go there. The worst is when I'm interrupted -- whatever I was saying is for sure gone then. I hope I get my brain back after the baby is here because it's frustrating!

Anyway, I'll start with Logan since my last "update post" was Logan's First Day Of Preschool. He has continued to love it and hasn't shed a tear since that first day. Today is his sixth day. Every morning he waves and blows Joe a kiss through the window and then wants to get right to work! He's always been such a secure and happy child, I hope that baby #2 is the same way because it sure makes things easy for Mommy & Daddy! He's had plenty of moments of shyness over the years, but never shy-scared. (More that he likes to observe first before joining things or talking with new people. Although lately he's even been talking when strangers talk to him.)

He asked me the other day (on a non-preschool day) if he could go to school that day. I told him only on Wednesdays and Fridays and he said "oh darn." Taking early naps on those days haven't been a problem, nor has the fact that the lead teacher (Liz) has been gone (home sick) three of these six days! I thought that might make him confused -- the revolving door of substitutes (although the assistant teacher, Michelle, has been there every day) -- but it hasn't bothered him. I'm so glad he likes it so well. One day he told me that some of the kids had to go to the office for time-out and that "this one kid" was running and hit him in the back so Logan told him that it made him "angry" and the other child apologized. He kept proudly saying over and over "I told him that it made me angry!" I had to stifle a laugh because that's not a word I've ever heard him use before (we use "mad" although "angry" seems like the better option so I'm going to try to use it now); they must have asked him how it made him feel and then told him to share those feelings with the other boy. I like that!!!

Joe picked him up the other day and said they were having circle time and Logan was right in the front and center across from the teacher, sitting with his legs crossed. . .how cute! They say that he potties on the toilet every time for them, sings the songs with the rest of the class, and talks regularly! I am so shocked because he was talking for a full year at home before he started talking at Gail's! The teachers at La Petite have already said the same thing Gail used to say, that Logan is a teacher's dream come true.

Just this past Wednesday my friend Stacy gave Logan his third haircut and said out of all of the children she's ever cut hair for in her 8 years, he has been the easiest/best. She texted me later and said "you have done such a good job with Logan, he is such a sweet and good little boy." I don't think there's a better compliment that I could ever receive in my entire life!!!!

If I do nothing else in my life, and accomplish nothing else, that is okay because nothing can ever be better or more rewarding than being Logan's mother! I know I am sounding all mushy so I hope I don't lose you, lol, but I just want to remember these feelings forever. I am just so proud of this little guy every single day. There hasn't been a day that has gone by since he was born three years ago that I haven't thanked God with tears in my eyes for letting me be Logan's mom. It's his soul -- the part of him that is unchangeable that makes me feel that every day is a gift. I not only love him, but I just like him so much!

I've been putting together his slideshow DVD which I do every year for his birthday party, and I watched his past two, worried they would make me sad -- but they didn't. I am so glad that I have truly treasured every moment with Logan. I remembered every single picture and had the feeling of "those were special times but not any more special than right now." I got everything and more out of each phase that he's ever been in. I hope that I feel that way every year. I will miss if he someday stops with the affection. He's always been so cuddly. Out of the blue he'll just come over to me and hug and kiss me and say, "I love my mommy."

After my last "update post" two weeks ago, when Joe got home from work that Friday we all (including the dogs) went for a walk to the elementary school. Logan enjoyed playing on the playground while we let the dogs off their leash so they could run around the huge open area which was fun. It had been a nice day outside, so Logan and I had also played outside when I'd picked him up at preschool.

On Saturday, March 19th Logan did his first bubble-blowing of 2011, and on Sunday, March 20th we took him miniature golfing for the first time ever! It was so much fun, I think he'll be following in Joe's footsteps with that hobby! (We also took the dogs for another walk and leash-free playing at the school.)

Monday, March 21st Logan and I just played around the house -- he played in his sandbox for a bit and told me he was digging holes for bugs to make them happy, haha. As I mentioned in a past post when he was acting onrey those couple of weeks but stopped because it "wasn't making Mommy happy," he is a born-people pleaser so when he plays he's often telling me he's doing such-and-such to make Bella and Cosmo happy, or Daddy happy, or Mommy happy. It's really sweet but I'm trying to reassure him that he doesn't have to. . .especially the bugs, lol.

We went to Bounce-U on Thursday, March 24th for our second time, meeting Brooke & Kaelyn again, and there was a one-and-a-half year old girl who was demanding that she play with all of the balls in the batting cage and was taking everything from Logan. So Logan collected all of the balls for her, gave them to her, and sat down and waited until she was done (or rather her dad told her that was enough and took her out, haha!) Then Logan went over and had his turn. It's always been so funny to watch his easy-going personality. I sure hope that means he'll adjust well to the baby. I try not to think a lot about that kind of stuff because otherwise I'll get emotional and there's no point since there is no way to predict exactly how it will be, I'll have to deal with "whatever" as it comes.

For most people, it sounds like it's not until baby #2 gets mobile that then child #1 has a problem with them. When they're all fragile and just lay around, child #1 doesn't feel threatened, but when baby #2 starts crawling and walking and getting into the first child's space and toys then there are issues. My friend Stacy and I have had nearly identical experiences as mothers (not only because her first/a son was born just six days after Logan and her second/a daughter was born last July), but she finds the baby stage to be less demanding than the 9 month to 15 month stage (that's how I felt about Logan). So she said that now that her daughter is requesting more from her, it's harder to balance the attention between the two kids. I told her she will be my go-to person next year because that is my NUMBER ONE concern with having another child. I just do not want Logan to feel deprived, or on the flip side, not bond to the fullest with the younger child. That's another reason why I hope Gail will return -- because then I can at least have an hour or two with just Logan during the day. (Speaking of which, Gail's surgery went well and it sounds like her recovery is going well, too.)

Back to Bounce-U -- they opened up a second room this time so it was even more fun! Logan went from one bounce house to another. We took a break for lunch at Culver's and then Brooke & Kaelyn headed home for naptime, but Logan and I returned for more! It was a lot more crowded after lunch (spring break) so Logan got pushed around a bit and even fallen on by older boys twice, but he was having so much fun that he didn't mind! Brooke and I agreed that we need to ask them about an option for a season pass or some sort of discount so we can go A LOT. It'll be the perfect place for next winter because I can just sit on a bench and nurse the baby while Logan runs around and has a great time. (Mother Nature must have thought last week was April Fool's because we had a relapse to winter! It snowed three times! Grr. I think this week it's supposed to go back to spring, though. . .hopefully permanently!)

Friday, March 25th was pajama day at Logan's school -- fun! We had gone shopping earlier in the week and he'd picked out the pajamas he wanted to wear (blue "cool" fish). Both days that week we had to wake him up because he was still sleeping at 8 am so that was sad (he cried as we got him ready) but he cheered up before he & Joe left.

The next day, Saturday, March 26th, Logan went to my mom & stepdad's house for the first solo trip in almost five months! Joe and I went to a camera/photography class which was excellent...I have been feeling so creative lately and working on all kinds of projects -- photography being one of them, it is my favorite hobby! It's not like writing which essentially IS me and has been ME my entire my life, as well "my job." Even though I've always loved pictures and photography, it's really a new hobby and is just fun-fun-fun. Some of you know how I almost got the lens I've been wanting forever for Christmas; well we were finally going to get it after the class on Saturday but then the sales guy was pushing a cheaper (yes, cheaper) one to me, so that got me all confused and we went home to do more research. Unfortunately, I DO want the more expensive one so next chance we have I will finally get it!!!! I have so many ideas of pictures I want to take this summer, so hopefully this lens will help me do what I want!

For lunch that day Joe and I went to The Pizza Ranch in Council Bluffs; I was so excited to see a commercial earlier in the week that they had one there. I've only experienced it three other times (twice in Newton, where Joe is from, and once in another small town) but now that we have one in our area I have a feeling we'll be going more often -- YUM!

That evening Joe and I had a "date night" at the movie theater! We saw Limitless. Bradley Cooper (one of my fav actors) was EXCELLENT. The movie itself, though. . .was just okay. It wasn't bad, but it just lacked something. I think the writers could have done a better job with the story because it had a really neat concept. If Bradley Cooper hadn't been the main character I think it would have tanked.

From there we went to Barnes & Noble where I bought a free book (I had a gift card) and then to the mall so that I could buy another maternity/nursing bra at Motherhood Maternity. It is the best bra ever! Last week started the exact same upper back pain that I had while pregnant with Logan. I think both times are due to my boobs. They're huge. There's just no other way to say it. Gi-nor-mous. So, a good bra is a must. Since I only had two nursing bras while pregnant and breastfeeding Logan (yes, only two), I had bought another one that day a few weeks ago when Logan & I went shopping. Well it has turned out to be the most comfortable bra in the entire world!!!! It's a sports bra which I didn't expect to like or buy, but I don't feel like I'm wearing anything, yet it gives great support. (Here's the link to see a pic on MM's website.) Needless to say, I bought another one, the next size bigger even though I'm still wearing my current one, since I still have three months of growing left :(

As I mentioned in Back To The Real World, I only had one tiny wrap when I nursed Logan and I think this led to my hesitation at nursing in public. So I was happy that my mom has bought me two new BIG wraps! I have no more hesitation about nursing in public and am so excited to breastfeed again! She got me Loved Baby's nursing shawl which is basically like a big shirt so it covers everything but you can still see the baby, and a cover by Bebe Au Lait.

I also only had one official nursing top last time. I still haven't bought any this time because I have a hard time finding local stores with a good selection, but I looked online and found several that I like, places like Motherwear, Momzelle, and The Birth Boutique so I don't think that will be a problem, either!

Not much to report on Sunday, March 27th or Monday, March 28th -- except that on Monday I threw up! :( It was so weird, I was cleaning the house and then thought, oh I guess it's time for lunch, so I walked into the kitchen and had to grab the trash can! I haven't had any nausea for quite some time, it was like those two other random times after my nausea ended (during which I threw up 7 times over six weeks), meaning this made #10 of this pregnancy. And here I thought I'd come out less than my last pregnancy since it has been so much better, but with Logan I threw up 13 times over ten weeks and that was it. Obviously, it put a damper on the day.

We picked Logan up when Joe got off of work, it sounded like he had a fun little getaway. He had been excited to go and never cried.

Tuesday, March 29th Logan and I went grocery shopping and also to the pet store to get some food for Bella and Cosmo. Logan said hi to the animals there. I fell in love with a Humane Society black cat -- if I wasn't pregnant, I might have taken him home! He was so friendly and playful.

That evening was the final episode of One Born Every Minute. It was an excellent show so I hope it comes back for another season! I'm just so bored of A Baby Story, I've watched it off and on since I was in college and it hasn't changed a bit. So it was nice to watch a different spin on childbirth, especially since most stories were really funny. Joe and I watched it together each week (and even Logan caught some episodes) so we will miss it. I thought they did a really good job of not pushing c-sections, although the episode about the natural labor that I wrote about in my post One Born Every Minute, was the only one of the season (or actually I think there was one other natural labor). By the way, I signed up for a Hypnobirthing class the weekend of May 21st!

Wednesday, March 30th was our hair appointments, as I mentioned earlier. Logan and I hadn't had our hair trimmed since November (the day before I got pregnant, actually)! I hadn't gotten my hair highlighted or colored since July and had planned on waiting until this July when the baby is born, since I didn't have it done during my pregnancy with Logan (I went almost 11 months that time) -- but then I saw two gray hairs!!!!! I assumed they were coming, as I had my first (one) gray hair right after my 30th birthday but it had been over a year since then so I was hoping maybe the rest would wait another ten years, lol. But these two were right on top so I decided a highlight was in order. Stacy did a perfect job so I don't plan to do another highlight or color until after the baby is born. It was just what I wanted -- some blonde streaks mixed in with my natural hair color to brighten it up (and camouflage any future gray, haha, although she said she didn't see any others).

I also had my eyebrows waxed for the first time since September. Back then I had said I was decreasing my once a month trips to once a season, but actually they did pretty well for going six months (I hardly had to pluck at all), so now I plan to only do it twice a year.

Logan's hair turned out great, too. (You can see pics on our photo site.) He always looks older after he gets it done! It was great to catch up with Stacy. As I mentioned on my Lemon Chicken Salad recipe, it has been awhile since we've gotten together. Her little Olivia has been sick since the first week of Feb, so please pray that she gets better soon! (After our appointments Joe, Logan, and I went out to eat to Old Chicago.)

Yesterday, Thursday, March 31st, Logan and I just played at home. Today, Friday, April 1st I'm cleaning the house for Joe's mom who is coming to visit tomorrow to Sunday. She just returned from a long trip to Corpus Cristi so we haven't seen her since January.

In two weeks is Logan's birthday party! We sent out invites last week and I'm ordering food next week. . .then we'll be set!

Otherwise, the only thing to report is more baby girls! In Back To The Real World, I wrote that there are two other female babies to report (Joe's current co-worker's wife whose due date was my original due date, as well as a now one-month-old baby named Emily). Now I have two more: the co-worker from Joe's old place of employment (who I originally said was due a week after me, however her due date was moved up while mine was moved back so now we're due the same day!) is having a girl. And, Sarah, whose husband used to work with Joe at his old place of employment gave birth just this past Monday (March 28th) at 6:16 am to a daughter Adalei. She went in the night before to be induced (a week before her due date) and was already contracting, ready to go! I currently know no one who is pregnant with a boy! I'm next in line to give birth out of the expectant mothers who I know. . .eeek!!!! (By the way, a college friend of mine -- the one who introduced Joe and me, actually -- just announced that her first baby is due in October.)

Thankfully I haven't had any dizzy spells since that time a couple of weeks ago, although the following week I was having trouble breathing so that was scary! Most nights during this pregnancy I've slept really well, but there was one night that I only got 3 hrs of sleep because I couldn't breathe when I was lying down! I felt like my stomach grew that week so I wonder if things got pushed up or something, and then adjusted, because a couple of days later everything was fine and I haven't had that problem since. However, then the upper back pain started. . .

I'm also finding it hard to bend over as well as getting comfortable at night because of my tummy being in the way (I hate sleeping on my side!!! Although, I asked Dr. Sullivan if I could sleep on my stomach because I did with Logan until the 7th month and I have been with this pregnancy, too, and she said yes, it is perfectly fine so that helps).

I'm 23.5 weeks pregnant and have gained a total of 20 lbs. So much for my hope of only gaining 25 lbs in this pregnancy :( Oh well, as long as it's less at the end than last time (42 lbs). I'm still hungrier than the months prior (hence the week of recipes, lol) but I feel I'm doing well with not being out of control. That's one good part about my stomach feeling so huge lately, it's a constant reminder that I have three months of more growing to do! Last time I didn't know what was coming. :p

Overall I'm still feeling better in this pregnancy than my other one. Still have a good amount of energy (as I have pretty much the entire 23.5 weeks) and no other pain/discomfort aside from the upper back pain and growing belly. (Speaking of my growing belly, I had to put away my first pair of maternity pants -- I bought them when I was pregnant with Logan and they are my smallest pair.) Here was my post at this stage of pregnancy with Logan: We've Started The Nursery!


Happy Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment