Joe and Logan went with me; the appt. was at 2 pm and I had the same ultrasound technician as I did two-and-a-half years ago.
I was told that I had two small fibroid tumors which surprised me but both the ultrasound technician and my doctor explained that they are nothing to worry about and are too tiny to interfere with the pregnancy. I'll just have to be aware of them as I get older incase they grow and then I might have to get them removed (but they will never be cancer).
The only scary part about the appointment was when I met with my doctor after the ultrasound and she basically told me that if my next baby is even an ounce bigger than Logan was at birth then I'm getting a c-section. She said that Logan's delivery was very serious because he had shoulder dystocia. She has seen babies die in his situation, others have lived but have had disabilities, so Logan was "lucky." Not exactly optimistic words.
For those of you who read my other blog, then you're aware that I have since learned ways to avoid the 4-hour pushing phase again, not to mention science guarantees that my pelvis will make baby #2's entrance to the world smoother. But I'm never going to get the opportunity to even TRY if my baby is bigger. She just can't be a "good doctor" and wait & see (because by then it will be too late which is why I didn't have a c-section with Logan -- once the baby gets stuck then it is unsafe to perform one), which I understand -- I feel that as far as being a "good mother." It would be MY fault if I went through another vaginal delivery and something happened to my baby knowing what I know now. With Logan, neither of us knew -- he was 7 lbs, 13.7 oz -- many women's babies that size (and bigger) have slipped right out so there was no reason for us to think I "should" have had a c-section.
Needless to say, this was a huge disappointment to me. I came home and cried. I asked her if there was anything I could do and she said not really, that second babies are just generally bigger than first babies, however I can try to eat as healthy as possible to only gain 25 lbs rather than the 42 I did last time and maybe that will make a difference (also if it's a girl, baby #2 could be smaller IF delivered at the same date which was three weeks early). I will definitely try. You're not supposed to diet while pregnant but I am really going to make the best effort I ever have as far as skipping on fattening food. I also am going to attempt the eliptical again tonight and hope that I can exercise every day during this pregnancy since I have energy and feel great.
Of course, this might not make any difference and I know there are far worse things in life (and motherhood) than having a c-section. . .tons of people I know have had them and don't even care. But what can I say, I REALLY don't want one. Despite the 4 hour pushing phase I LIKED the entire birthing experience last time and I REALLY want to have another natural delivery. I am starting to cry again as I write this. I know there are so many things in life that are out of our control and this may in fact be one of them for me. But it is too early to throw in the towel. So far this pregnancy has been completely opposite of my first (still zero nausea/sickness) and so that gives me hope that my labor could be, too. I just want there to still be an option for me rather than having it decided when my entire life, body, and baby are different than three years ago. Supposedly the shoulder dystocia was caused by my pelvis not stretching enough during labor and Logan being posterior. Both of which are unlikely to occur next time since my pelvis is bigger now (having been through one labor) and I know how to be aware of my baby's positioning and do exercises to change it if necessary. Therefore, I don't see why I can't be treated like a first time mother rather than put into a category already. If shoulder dystocia only occurs in 1% of the population then that does not seem likely that it will happen again.
Anyway. . .here is the photo! They said the due date is July 24-28 which is exactly as I predicted. I plan to do another "Baby Rodgers Challenge" like what we did with Logan so I will be sending a mass email about that. :-)
TO READ MY POSTS ABOUT MY PREGNANCY WITH LOGAN AT THIS STAGE, CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING:1) Finding Out We Were Having A Baby
2) Our First Ultrasound








How disappointing! I am sorry you had to go through the stress of that conversation. I wonder if OBs realize how important the birth is to women sometimes .. that is, women who don't see it as a clinical event.
ReplyDeleteThere are other options :P thankfully and I know you will do awesome. You're armed with knowledge and love and 99% of the time that's all you need to have a wonderful birthing experience. As one of the midwives said to me after Baby G's birth "Don't you just feel you can accomplish anything now?". You should feel the same.