Yesterday was not the day, either...but...today's appointment went as good as possible. I didn't gain any weight this week (still at 35 lbs total, but my blood pressure was up to 130 from 108-112 for the majority of the pregnancy and the 120's the past two weeks). Best of all - I was 4 3/4 cm dilated (so almost 5 - halfway done!) which is pretty much the most you can get and not be in labor, you don't hear of people walking around with a 5! The baby's head was also noticeable/stationed this time (something that my old doctor had said with Logan three days before I had him, but I hadn't heard Dr. Sullivan say she could see this baby's head yet) and I was 100% effaced. She was pretty optimistic this time, even saying, "I hope I see you tonight!" especially because she stripped my membranes.
By the way -- it was nothing!!! I would totally recommend it for anyone who might be induced but doesn't want to be. I would never have known that she did it, it took just a few more seconds while she checked my cervix! I asked her why it's not offered to everyone and she said that for women who are only a little dilated it can hurt and not cause labor...but seriously, shouldn't we be able to have the option? It just seems way better than an actual induction to me. I'd rather be disappointed with nothing happening but know I tried everything, rather than do nothing. And as for the "possible" pain, my friend who is a nurse who told me about it had it done because she was only A HALF of a cm at her 40 wk appt and it didn't hurt for her, either. She went into labor that night. Plus, my thought was that any pain that might be from this is probably pretty minor compared to the real thing coming soon!
My friend says she is confident I'm going into labor this weekend, as there is no one who she's known whose had their membranes stripped and not gone into labor. Today is the day Joe guessed on the Baby Rodgers Challenge and tomorrow is my brother's birthday. . .
Friday, July 8, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








Perhaps it's not offered to everyone because not everyone can have it. I asked to have my membranes stripped and the doctor could barely reach my cervix until I was dilated to 3. I didn't dilate to 3 until I had experienced labor contractions for an hour or so. That's just one of the things that happens right before or during labor (the cervix moves from a posterior position to an anterior position). Some women (like you probably) simply move anterior before labor. I just don't move anterior until well into my labor contractions. That happened with both children for me
ReplyDeleteThat makes a lot more sense than just not doing it to disappoint women!
ReplyDelete(Although I know a lot of people who were induced at 4 cm and they had never heard of this and wished they had)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that it wasn't painful to have that procedure done. I can't believe that the doctor can see her head! Soooooo exciting!!!!!! Won't it be great if you have her on your brothers birthday!? :)
ReplyDeleteStill in my prayers Andrea.......
Hopefully, as I am writing this, you are in the hospital, cuddling you new baby. Best wishes to you and I hope everything is smooth.
ReplyDelete