Monday, September 6, 2010

#1: Labor Day = Lucky Day?

The plan to start trying for baby #2 has always been "September 2010" so that Joe & my kids can be roughly 3 yrs apart (statistically the best age range for both kids and parents), but not exactly so that they won't have to share birthdays (I conceived Logan in August 2007).

I admit I don't know if I'm ready or not. . .I love the one-on-one time with Logan and think it is important and special and healthy. . .I prefer to be "in the moment" and treasure and remember as many moments as I can (won't life speed up with a baby?). . .not to mention, I hated being pregnant the first time around -- am I ready to tackle it all over again?

I didn't have a bad experience being raised as an only child, but I think it is better to have a sibling. Not just because otherwise all of the pressure falls on one child (as well as many other reasons), but from the amount of people I know who are close with their siblings, it seems like it's one of the best things I can do for my children (and myself as a parent).

So, since this is the first time in two-and-a-half years when I feel I would be able to do just as good of a job with two, we decided to go ahead with our plan. Logan is a good helper. . .good with babies. . .he's at an age where he'd like a playmate around the house. . .with his days at a babysitter's I would have one-on-one time with the baby and hopefully I can make arrangements to still have one-on-one time with Logan. . .and even though I didn't like being pregnant I did love the baby stage! Not to mention, I'm thirty -- might as well put forth the energy of parenting while I still have some!

With thirty-year-old couples only having a 20% chance of conception each month, I will be surprised if it happens on the first try. But, I hope so because Babycenter says that getting pregnant this month (today, actually) would give my baby a due date of the end of May 2011. For those who read my old blog, you know my feelings as far as being pregnant into the summer months (I don't want to be -- I get uncomfortable in the heat as it is), but the end of May is good! If September doesn't work out, we'll try again in October since that will mean a due date the end of June (June isn't as bad as July or August), but otherwise we'll be waiting until the spring and then just try until it happens.

I am leaving it up to God because He has a plan and knows what is best for my family, my future child, and me. . .and so he will make whatever is supposed to happen, happen!

Coincidentally, my mom and stepdad asked if Logan could stay with them Saturday morning thru this evening (today is Labor Day -- the same day I found out I was pregnant with Logan three years ago), since he hasn't had a solo trip there since Memorial Day weekend.

Saturday night Joe and I went on a date to the Cinedine and saw Going The Distance with Drew Barrymore. If I get pregnant then she is my good luck actress since I saw Music & Lyrics the weekend that I got pregnant with Logan, haha.

With Logan we spent three months just "seeing what would happen" but nothing happened. So then I took the ovulation predictor test and the third try was the charm. Since it was successful before, I preferred to go right to the ovulation predictor test this time.

Last Monday (Day 10) I got out my box of ovulation predictor tests, since the one I took when I got pregnant with Logan was the first in the box of seven that I bought in August 2007. But, according to the date on the box, they expired a year-and-a-half ago. :( I wish I would have given them to one of my friends who got pregnant during the past three years! I gave it a try just to be sure, but it was the Answer brand (the cheapest): you look at two pink lines and decide if one is darker. Hard enough to do back in 2007, but these lines were blurry and half blank in 2010, so I tossed the remaining five tests. I guess it wasn't an entire waste of money since I actually got pregnant with Logan that month (with coupons I think it was $12 a box -- he was worth that)!

This time I forked out $35 for the Clearblue brand -- 20 in the box (so if I don't get pregnant this month I won't have to buy more next month). This brand is way easier and better, however this was a one-time thing as far as spending that much money on them.

With Logan, I tested positive on Day 16. This month, we decided to ahem on Saturday (Day 15) and Sunday (Day 16) even though there wasn't an LH surge on my test. (An LH surge indicates I will ovulate within the next 24 hours.) "They say" you're more likely to have a girl if you ahem prior to ovulation and a boy if you ahem at the same time as ovulation. When I had Logan I thought I might want only boys (girls seem like more pressure to me so I might be a better mom to boys), especially after enjoying Logan so much, but I've recently decided I'd prefer one of each to have both experiences -- it also may be better for my kids as far as competition, etc.

But, it could still be another boy since this morning (Day 17 -- Labor Day) there WAS an LH surge on my test! (I knew there would be even before I took the test because I woke up after dreaming that I was taking it and a big smiley face appeared, LOL.) We'll see whether I have successful news to share with you in my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment